Saturday, June 6, 2009

Correcting a mistake: Moving a sharepoint site to a new web port.

I created an Extranet site in a fury the other day to meet a client's need. When I went to Central Admin > Application Management > Create or Extend Web Application, I wanted to create my site as: newhostname.mysharepointsite.com. But, the GUI forced me to append a port number to it: newhostname.mysharepointsite.com:47994. In my hurry, I let that go. I needed to get something up quickly and start posting.

Before making it live to the client, however, I wanted the site on port 80. I found that in the original deployment of my single sharepoint server farm, there was a site in IIS that answered all port 80 requests for mysharepointsite.com. In IIS, when I viewed properties on mysharepointsite.com and reviewed the host headers (Website tab > Advanced button), the host-header field was blank. Altho its 'wrong' I removed that blank entry. I then went into my new client extranet site settings in IIS and edited the port number from 47994 to 80, and made sure the host heading was newhostname.mysharepointsite.com. Again, this is wrong, but... there are more steps.

From there, I logged into the Central Admin and went to Operations > Alternate Access Mappings > Edit Public Zones URLs, selected my Web Application, and removed the port number from my extranet's URL. Then I restarted IIS.

And that worked...

No comments:

Post a Comment